January 23, 2017-Contact: Melissa Duncan-512-463-0112
Senate Finance Holds First Organizational Hearing
AUSTIN — Senator Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, presided today over the Senate Finance Committee's organizational hearing, which included an overview of the Biennial Revenue Estimate by Comptroller Glenn Hegar and an overview of SB 1, the appropriations bill, by Ursula Parks, LBB Director.
"SB 1 is a starting point, and I look forward to working with an excellent group of colleagues who are as committed as I am to addressing our priorities, finding efficiencies and passing a responsible budget that meets the needs of our growing state," Senator Nelson said.
SB 1, the appropriations bill, by Senator Nelson:
- Appropriates $103.6 billion General Revenue (GR);
- Continues the current funding formulas for both public education and higher education;
- Adds $2.65 billion to cover student enrollment growth;
- Dedicates approximately $5 billion for transportation in accordance with Proposition 7; and
- Provides a $1 billion commitment to improve the state hospital system and address other state facility needs.
For additional highlights of SB 1 visit http://www.senate.state.tx.us/press.php?id=12-20170117a